This quilt started with the knowledge that Zach and Alysa, the mom-to-be (again), was expecting their second child, a little girl, in May. I wanted to make her a baby quilt, but any old baby quilt just wouldn't do. Alysa has a great sense of style and decorating sense and is a master at DIY projects. I wanted to create something that reflect who she is as well as something that would coordinate with her nursery. Since I was doing this quilt completely by hand, I started this quilt shortly after she revealed the gender and took a few risks with the fabric selections since I didn't know exactly what she was going to do in her nursery yet. Here's the fabric collection I picked.
Now, I had the fabric and I needed to figure out the design. I found a print on Pinterest that has always caught my attention whenever I've seen it posted and the thought occurred to me that I could recreate it as a quilt. It is a fun, modern design and would work well with the fabric selection. Here's the print:
For the quilt, I created a template out of card stock and started cutting petals out of each fabric. I basted the quilt by laying out the backing, batting and the background fabric for the front. I placed the petals and pinned them to the layers of fabric. Once everything was in place and the entire quilt was basted, I used a quilting hoop to start hand-appliqueing each petal down and then quilting the petal down to secure the layers of fabric together with a pale pink thread. I continued this process until I had every petal secure. Once that was done, I changed to a pale aqua thread to quilt between the petals into the negative space to finish out the quilting design. I usually try and put the baby's initial on the quilt as just an added touch, but I wanted to try something different with this quilt. Instead of hand-appliqueing the initial down using one of the fabrics in the quilt, I put the initial into the quilting of the quilt. Here's the finished product.