Earlier this year, I made a quilt (Girly Charm) using fabrics from Anna Marie Horner's Field Study, Tula Pink's Birds and Bees, Denyse Schmidt's Chicopee and Ty Pennington's Impressions Spring 2012 charm packs. What fabrics did not get used in the earlier mentioned quilt are now being put to good use in this one.
As with the Plus Quilt, this mom also received one of my first quilts back in 2011. She has a modern sense of style and I knew she would appreciate modern prints in a modern pattern.
For this quilt, I took each charm pack square and layered it with a white square of the same size. Then I sewed a quarter inch seam around the perimeter of the square. I took my rotary cutter and cut the diagonals of the square and ended up with 4 half-square triangles. I then took 2 of the half-square triangles sewing them together to form the herringbone in one direction. I then sewed together the other 2 half-square triangles in the other direction. With lots of repetition and piecing and pinning, I had this beautiful top piece that just popped! I still can't get over the effect it has on me every time I open the quilt to look at it.
For the back, I ended up using Riley Blake's Zoofari Animal Words as the main fabric. I liked the idea of the animal words instead of animal pictures...it seemed more modern. I added the wide strip of white to help break it up. The orange binding matches one of the herringbone pieces in the top.