I had this big idea to take the scraps from the top of my mother's patriotic quilt and create a scrappy flag on the back, as I mentioned I was going to do on this post. To make a long story short, it didn't quite work out the way I had planned. A lot of it had to do with some of the fabric that I was trying to use. I had purchased the fabric years ago before I knew any better and quickly realized how cheap and horrible it actually was. I ended up tossing aside the horrible fabric and went and bought some Kona Navy to finish up the project. I also decided to keep the flag separate and create a wall hanging instead. My mother isn't one for flashy quilt backs anyway. So, without further adieu, here is my mother's wall hanging.
There are 5 stars represent my mother's 5 grand kids. I used up every last piece of this fabric collection and I'm truly please with the results.
For the quilting, I used a wavy stitch setting on my Bernina. It's just a additional touch to the flag to help give it some movement.
My mother's patriotic quilt has about an hour worth of work left on it and then I will be finished with it. I promise to show it off when it's done.
My brother's quilt is quilted and all I lack is burying my threads from the quilting and putting the binding on. I hope to have that done in the next couple of days. I have a nice 12-hour drive to look forward to for the holidays and I plan on hand-stitching the binding down to help pass the time.
I hope all your holiday projects are coming to a close as well.