After piecing the top, it felt very chaotic. I ended up framing the top with a thick navy border to help give the prints a boundary. I'm typically not a border kind of quilter, but I think it works well here. It gave the quilt top a better finished.
I also pieced the back with fabrics from the Belle collection. I had a jelly roll on hand that helped bring the prints to the back. I used half of the jelly roll in the back and the other half I used for a scrappy binding to finish off this quilt.
I haven't purchased my batting for this quilt yet, so this will continue to hang up on my design wall until next weekend.
In the mean time, I started working on a new sewing machine cover. I made a smaller sewing machine cover about a year ago that works well for my smaller Bernina, but my Juki has been neglected long enough. I had some scraps left over from my Arkansas Traveler Quilt that has been sitting in my fabric cabinet just waiting to be used. I started working on the piece that will make up the sides and the top of the cover. I just love the braided herringbone look I've seen in so many quilts and wanted to replicate it here.
I attached the pieces directly to the batting and quilted as I went. I've seen this technique used on lots of bags and thought it would work perfectly for this cover.
I used the scraps off the braided herringbone that I trimmed off and created this strip along the front panel of the sewing machine cover. Again, I attached it directly to the batting.
The front panel is complete and I will be working hard this week to finish up this project. I want to have this done before my parents arrive from out of town this coming weekend. They are bringing LOTS of sewing room goodies that I can't wait to share with you. I'm so excited!