Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sewing Room Makeover: Part 2

Here's the finished room!  I've been looking forward to this for several months now and I can't believe it's finally complete.
 

My sewing table has been painted and moved into my sewing room.  The side table against the wall is the Go-Cart desk and accompanying filing cabinet from CB2.  Next to the filing cabinet is my scrap storage in clear plastic drawers.  Some day I may try and come up with a creative storage options for all my scraps, but these drawers work for now.  Above the desk on the wall is BYGEL wall storage system rail complete with four containers and a wire basket from IKEA.  Above that is a BIGNITET curtain wire with RIKTIG curtain clips from IKEA as well.  The Keep Calm prints were an ETSY find about a year ago and the "dream colorfully" sign was a steal at the Pottery Barn Outlet store.




The sewing table extremely functional.  I have the height adjustment dials to adjust between my two sewing machines to create a flush surface.  My father also created openings for the knee lifts to fit exactly for each machine in the side of the table.  He also left enough space on the right side of the machine for the cords to fit and go under the table instead of on top.  I love having my cords hidden.


As you can tell from the pictures, there is a lip around the edge of the cut out to hold the inserts for the table.  I have an insert for my JUKI, my Bernina, and a solid insert if I need the table to have a solid surface.


To the right of the desk I have my project baskets to keep everything organized. 


My project tracker has been attached to the wall along with my thread rack.  I use to keep these on the desk, but now I have so much more space open to me with these on the wall.


At the end of the sewing machine, I have a kitchen cart from IKEA.  This thing is amazing to keep beside me while I work.  It holds all the important tools I need to keep handy while I'm working on top as well as additional storage below.


Hanging on the backside of the kitchen cart is a kneeling pad for basting purposes and a folding bag to carry projects to Modern Quilting Guild meetings or sew-ins. 


The quilt rack is an original piece made by my father.  It's gorgeous and I'm so lucky to have it in my possession.   The quilt at the top is my grandmother's orange peel quilt that really inspired me to take up the craft of quilting.  I'm so glad to have a place to display it where I can continue to be inspired by the generations before me.


My cutting/extension table is a wonderful addition to my room.  It can be fully extended when I need the space or only partially extended when I just need a little extra surface to quilt or cut.  When I don't need it, I can roll it back into it's little nook and it's out of the way.  The six drawers on the ends are perfect storage for my scissors/rotary cutters, my gipsy grippers for my cutting templates, and the tape I use for basting.  I still have three empty drawers, but I'm sure I'll find something to put in there eventually.


As I mentioned in my earlier post, we put wheels on everything that didn't originally come with them.  My sewing room is completely portable and it's nice to be able to move my furniture around to meet the needs of any given project.


On the other side of the room is a rolling cart that holds whichever sewing machine is not currently being used, my cutting templates, and my sewing machine accessories for the machine on top.  My newest sewing machine cover is working out wonderfully with my JUKI, and I can't wait to make another one to replace the too-small cover currently on my sewing table for my Bernina.


My design wall is HUGE and I love it!  I've had it up for almost a year now and I can't imagine functioning without it.  I did have a pretty WIP on it before I took this picture, but the quilt is a gift and I didn't want to give anything away.


My ironing board has a permanent home here in this corner of the room and my flying geese quilt is proudly displayed above it to bring some more color into the room.


The last thing remaining to be updated in this room is this china cabinet.  I found this solid wood cabinet for $75 on Craigslist.  I plan on painting this a fun color, but I haven't completely decided on which color yet.  It's perfect for fabric storage on top and craft storage below. 

 

I had several requests for a before and after shot.  

BEFORE:

AFTER:

46 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! I am starting to think I need that turquoise cart from IKEA :). Love that you have wheels on everything and that ladder is beautiful. Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your room looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your space!! (Can your dad come to my house?) I'm going to have to look into one of those collapsable cutting/extension tables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on such a wonderful makeover...happy happy days of sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sewing space. I love seeing other quilters work areas. And thanks for the before and after. Much better flow now and better work space with the machine facing into the room. Congrats! Visiting from Let's Be Social

    ReplyDelete
  6. So loved seeing your finished room-I need a bigger room-or less stuff so I can make mine so neat looking, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I use a china hutch in my sewing room, too. I love seeing the fabric behind the glass top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so awesome! I love the ikea cart...will probably need to get one next time I'm there (it's an 8 hour drive...so it'll be a while). I also love the awesome custom inserts and the cutting table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done a fabulous job! Looks fantastic and easy to see that is very, very functional with a lot of thought behind the it. Enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sewing space is wonderful. So many great features! Such a fun place to work in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place to quilt and be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful and amazing space. Why not paint the hutch white -- that way all your beautiful fabrics will really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks great! I love the layout and everything has a place. Seems to be a great use of space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow--that is just fantastic! If your dad isn't going to build me a sewing table, maybe he can just post the plans and techniques online? I just love the height adjustment dials and the different inserts. Your dad did a superb job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! It has given me some great ideas on what to do with my new sewing space. I'll be moving in a few months and will get my own sewing room then! So excited. I currently have a small space between my living room couch and the dinning room table. I love seeing what you did with your room--it's getting me excited about all the possibilities of my new sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your newly organized sewing room. It looks great! I just rearranged the furniture in my craft room. It is fun having a change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your room!!! So incredibly jealous :-D Love all your creative storage solutions, and how your furniture is mobile. Have fun creating in your new space!!

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the special designs you added just for you and ALL the storage

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to say about eight hundred things... short version: LOVE the space! You have the IKEA cart I want, the quilt ladder is awesome, I love the Dream Colorfully sign, I want your fabric hutch... you get the idea - all around wonderful, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Your Sewing Studio is just dream come true! What a score with the China and perfect to showcase your fabrics. I always wanted a glass door cabinet for my fabrics too :). Truely inspiring studio.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing Janet! I'm so glad you finally have it finished. I loved seeing it in person too!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous - you put a lot of thought into this. Enjoy creating in your lovely new studio!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! How inviting! Love that everything has wheels and can be shifted around to suit the purpose. And even for getting at those dust bunnies. The china cabinet is a gorgeous piece and your fabric looks great in there. Hey, if I get a vote.... Paint it turquoise to match the kitchen cart!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG!! I just had to come in and drool!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love my Ikea cart too! Your room is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a wonderful room to work in, will it stay as tidy or are you a bit messy like me. Having the wheels on everything is such a great idea, I am envious

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great space! I use the Norden table as my sewing desk; I love the flaps so I can extend it when I'm quilting and then it's out of thee way when I'm not! Love all the nifty little things your dad added like the adjusters in the table!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW... the rest of it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your sewing room. It's so clean and organized too. Thank you for sharing....pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your sewing is very well thought out and inspirational. I'm working on regaining control over my sewing space. If only I had an IKEA nearby. I do appreciate the direct links to the items. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW!! I love what you have done with your sewing room. I like so many of the elements in your sewing space - the china/fabric hutch, the Ikea kitchen cart, design wall, etc. My "favorite" is your project tracker. I use a similar system for my students' projects in my classroom, but I never thought to bring the idea into the sewing room. I do have a question for you, is the colored dry erase board a usual product at your Walmart or possibly a seasonal one for their back to school sales? I have only looked on their on line site, tomorrow I will shop at Walmart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We used the Ikea INGO tables for my sewing machines too! But you guys were genius!! We just made two separate tables, which takes more space!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow love the re-do, I wish I had everything on wheels, that is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think my step-dad needs your dads telephone number, they are both amazing men when it comes to projects with wood! Wow! Your room is amazing, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome ideas. What a beautiful and well thought out space for you to be creative in! Thank you so much for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow! Since I sew at our kitchen table, I can only dream of having such an awesome, customized space. It's all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The whole sewing room is wonderful, but the project tracker really caught my eye - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your room looks amazing. Great job! I went to Ikea in January with the intent on getting the same gate-leg table you did, but when I got there and actually mimicked cutting fabric, I realized it was a bit too short for me. Upsetting, because those drawers in the middle would have been great for rotary cutter and blade storage. I ended up getting a Galant desk and A-leg set that day instead. That has worked out well for me - I can cut and then scoot it over by the machine when I'm quilting and can spread out the quilt. Enjoy your updated space!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great and snspiring studio. I cut and sew on the dining table

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful room and so light and bright! Thanks for sharing at Linky Tuesday! Freemotion by the River

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't even remember all the things I wanted to say about this amazing space! But I'm so glad you have it and think your father is incredible for the way he customized everything. Talent obviously runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a great, creative space! I love the table with the cut outs allowing your machines to sit flush! Your Dad is very clever!
    I love the Aqua rolling cart! I have two! Very handy things. I like the idea of having wheels on each table.
    I am going to keep that in mind when I finally get to make another trip to Ikea. We made one trip for sight seeing and planning (brought home a dark touquoise dresser and the carts) but have had to postpone the rest of the buying as my dear hubby will be off work for six months for cervical spine surgery recovery. I continue to pad my savings gather ideas though!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Janet,

    Can you ask your father where he got the height adjusters for your sewing table? My husband has been looking for them and is striking out.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father made those out of wood. We didn't buy them. So sorry!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...