Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Quilt Project Tracker Tutorial

I used to have this piece of paper laying around my sewing room where I kept track of all my quilt projects.  It would always get lost under piles of fabric or I would misplace my pen to update it.  It was kinda a pain to keep up with and I knew there was a better way to keep track of my quilt progress for multiple projects.  This is what I came up with.


I went to Walmart and collected all the supplies I would need to put this together.


You'll need:
  • A magnetic dry-erase board w/ dry-erase marker
  • Washi tape
  • A sheet of paper of your color choice
  • Self-seal laminating sheets
  • Adhesive magnetic strips
  • Magnet Balls
  • Scissors/Rotary Cutter for paper
  • Ruler
Start with your magnetic dry-erase board and your washi tape.


Measure out your first column based on the width of your magnetic strips.  My strips are 4 inches long, so I marked 4 1/4 inches to allow for some room.


Lay your washi tape along the right edge of your mark.  Continue this process to create all your columns.  My magnetic strips were 1/2 in wide so I left 3/4 inch between the edges of the tape for the remainder of the columns.  Repeat steps for the rows.


Now it's time to laminate your color of choice piece of paper.  Follow the directions on the package for best results.


After you're finished laminating, Cut your paper to the appropriate size to create your labels.  Since my magnetic strips were 4 inches long, I cut my paper 4 inches long.  I cut the width of my labels just slightly larger than 1/2 in.


Once your labels are cut and your magnets are in place, you are ready to start writing your label titles.


My column headings are as follows:
  • Design:  The quilt design is ready to make the quilt
  • Fabric:  All the fabric is purchased and cut
  • Piecing:  The piecing is completed
  • Basting:  The basting is completed
  • Quilting:  The quilting is completed
  • Binding:  The binding is completed
  • Blog:  The quilt has been photographed and blogged


My rows indicate the quilting projects I currently have on my list.  If my list is currently full, I try to not take on any other quilts to keep things more manageable.


Use the magnetic balls, or any magnets of your choice, to keep track of your progress on your chart.


This tracker was fairly easy to put together and it didn't take up very much time.  I've really enjoyed having it and better organization always makes my life a little bit easier.  Of course, this can be easily altered to meet your needs. 


20 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how creative of you to come up with this idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really a cute idea! Washi tape is good for EVERYTHING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea. Any suggestions for keeping my boys from stealing the magnets? Maybe I would just have to use the marker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever and attractive display! Thanks so much for sharing. When it comes to keeping track, I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever way to stay organized! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good idea, and it's colorful!
    how's the machine quilting going? We chatted about needles and threads last time.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! As soon as I can find my paper list under the piles, I'm heading back here to convert it into something lovely! Thanks for the great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I will have to make one, otherwise the WIPs keep growing! I love your idea of not adding more than there is room on the board!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is very organized. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a very organized person..this is really cool! I don't have that many things going at the moment, but if/when I do.. I'd love to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic idea! Might just have to go shopping for something other than fabric. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh look at you! I just look at my design wall, my wip pile, or what's stacked around the sewing room and then I generally know where I stand. Maybe that's why you are a more efficient quilter who moves through projects, unlike me! (Aren't those Ole Miss colors on that board?) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea! I have most of what I need right now to make this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh! That's organised. Far more organised than I am. I see a pile of half-sewn projects on my sewing table and pick one up.
    I wonder how big it would need to be to keep track of all my unfinished projects ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...