Friday, March 21, 2014

A Twisted Path Quilt Tutorial

I received several requests for a pattern tutorial. This is the first time I've ever done this, so I welcome some friendly tips for better pattern tutorials in the future.  Enjoy!


Quilt Size:
40" x 44"

Materials:
14 fat quarters
1 yard neutral solid

Cutting Material:
Cut 4 - 5 in. squares from each fat quarter.
Cut 56 - 5 in. squares from the neutral solid.

Half-Square Triangles:
Here is a great tutorial on making HST from Connecting Threads.
Your 112 HSTs should measure 4 1/2 inches once they have been trimmed up.  You'll have 2 HSTs left over.


Laying Out Pattern:
Start out by laying out the pinwheel in the lower right corner.


Add the next layer of HST around the pinwheel.  Notice the twisting effect starts here.


Add the next layer, again.  Follow the pattern.



This is now the completed lower right corner of the quilt.  You will be adding 4 more columns on the left side and 5 more rows on top.




Here is the original quilt displayed on the design wall.


Sew the HSTs in each row together and then sew the rows together.  Make sure to keep your HSTs and your rows in the right order, or the pattern will be distorted.


Lap Quilt Size Alternatives:

Lap Quilt (60" x 66"):
Keeping the same number of HSTs, cut 7-inch squares from your fat quarters and your neutral solid.  You'll need 2 yards of the neutral solid.

or

Lap Quilt (56" x 60"):
Add an additional 4 columns to the left side and 4 rows to the top.

Cut 8 - 5 in. squares from each fat quarter.
Cut 112 - 5 in. squares from the neutral solid.  You'll need 2 yards of this fabric.

36 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. These instructions are very clear!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! And lovely quilt :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely quilt, I might try your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it; thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I'd love to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great tutorial and a beautiful quilt! Thinking about using this with my Sunnyside charms. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I love this quilt and now can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love your quilt! Thank you so much for making a tute. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great quilt and a very good tutorial!
    I'll try this one with a charm pack and a solid.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah!! You are so awesome, thanks so much for the pattern. I just love this. And I just got 4 fat quarter bundles all solids, can't wait to give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely quilt! I like the very high contrast. Great job on the tutorial, too, Janet : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this Tutorial! I love the graphics and the movement you've created. I look forward to making one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for doing this. I love your layout for the HST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a very good detailed tutorial Janet you are a natural at tutorials so will be expecting more now you have this one under your belt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clear tutorial Janet thanks a lot. Your graphics without color are great really help to explain. I think I could make one just by following along. Good job on your first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is definitely going on my "most want to do" list! Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH THANK YOU for the tutorial!!! I have been admiring this, played with it in EQ7 and have been contemplating fabrics :) I sent a version to my nephew - he said "You need to add some rows" . . . he is an engineer, everything needs to be symmetrical... I told him - it is exactly how it is supposed to be! :) I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this tutorial! I'm going to pin it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that quilt looks superb! And your tutorial is great. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That quilt is fantastic..I wonder if I can do thhis as a scrap busting project

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very awesome quilt! Thank you for the tutorial. I really want to make one, now that I have seen yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing. Your instructions are very clear. I'm going to try this layout using split 9-patches instead of HSTs. They are considerably larger but it might just work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this pattern tutorial with us, Janet. It is such a cute quilt! I love the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love this! Will be pinning it to come back later. Thanks for sharing the tutorial, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. great tute, Janet! I really do love this layout!

    Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for posting this tute! The quilt is gorgeous. It is so fresh and modern with the brown!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Visiting from the new group! Wow! I love this quilt and I love the tutorial! I might need to do this one soon! Beautiful! I love the colors. Reminds me of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for this tutorial, really like this quilt pattern! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely quilt, Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a really great tutorial. I love that they are basic charm pack size. So many possibilities...what colour is going to be the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...